Monday, January 8, 2007

A light for a light to pass it on

Quite a couple of topics for the new posting were on my mind today till a chanced meeting with someone just now. He is Sufian, who has been with me for a couple of years until his "graduation" last year due to the completion of his O Levels.

I happened to meet him while I was about to pay for my groceries at Carrefour, which is one of the hypermarts in Singapore. Actually, I wasn't aware of him initially, until I heard someone calling out my name. Rather a surprise it was, and quite a pleasant one in fact. Sufian has been working as a temp cashier since last month. When he saw me approaching, he quickly removed the basket on the conveyor belt at the check out counter (I later learnt that he was about to finish for the night before I came). We chatted a bit while he checked out my grocies.

I am really glad for this encounter, for it is the first time for me to be served by an ex-student. For a while after I left the hypermart, I was filled with a multitude of feelings: it is indeed nice to know that someone whom you have taught have made themselves useful to the society, which I reckon provides a sense of fulfillment to the teacher who have helped shape his growth in some way or another.

Though I may not be a teacher on the frontline, in the classroom, but today's incident made me realised that a teacher is someone who provides a light to light the many lights that lightens the society.

Annie

No comments: